Quick Facts Of Ben Carson
Celebrated Name Ben Carson Age 68 Years Nick Name Ben Carson Birth Name Benjamin Solomon Carson Birth Date 1951-09-18 Gender Male Profession Author Place Of Birth Detroit, Michigan, U.S Nationality American Education Yale University (BA) and University of Michigan (MD) Wife Lacena Candy Rustin Marital Status Married Children Three – Rhoeyce, Benjamin Jr., and Murray Net Worth $ 30 million Religion Christinaty Political Inclination Republican Married Date July 6, 1975 Mother Sonya Carson Father Robert Solomon Carson Height 6 feet Weight 80 Kg Ethnicity Afro-American Face Color Black Sexual Orientation Sraight Hair Color Black Eye Color Dark Brown Links Wikipedia, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook
It’s the world’s best Neurosurgeon called Ben Carson. He is not really white skinned but he sure got skills when it comes to surgery and this has contributed to excellence in his career. Dr. Ben isn’t just a neurosurgeon, after his retirement, he ventured into politics in the United States. He is also a prolific writer and has authored many books. Let’s take a look at Carson’s biography and how he rose to fame with his magic brain and skillful hands.
What is Ben Carson Known For?
- An American politician, author, former neurosurgeon, philanthropist and 2016 Republic presidential candidate.
- Separating conjoined twins.
Lawmaker Urges Ben Carson To Resign After Disastrous House Testimony
A Democratic lawmaker is urging Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson to resign after he stumbled with basic housing questions before the House Financial Services Committee on Tuesday, leading to questions about his suitability for the role.
Rep. Jennifer Wexton (D-Va.) issued her declaration on Thursday while accusing the nation’s highest-ranking housing official of not only being unqualified for the position but lying to her and the rest of Congress during his testimony.
“He’s proven himself to be deceitful & inept as HUD Secretary,” she tweeted. “He should resign.”
Carson, a retired neurosurgeon, and former presidential contender accepted President Donald Trump’s invitation to become housing chief in 2017. A year earlier, however, he had said that he would not take a Cabinet position because he didn’t believe he had the background necessary to manage a federal agency, his longtime adviser said.
“Dr. Carson feels he has no government experience, he’s never run a federal agency,” Armstrong Williams told The Hill newspaper. “The last thing he would want to do was take a position that could cripple the presidency.”
Where was Ben Carson Born?
Back to his early life, Ben Carson was born in Detroit, Michigan, United Staes. His nationality is American and belongs to the black ethnic group. His horoscope is Virgo and faith in Christianity. He was born to father Robert Solomon Carson, and mother, Sonya Copeland as a Benjamin Solomon Carson Sr. in the year of 1951.
Moves his childhood, He didn’t grow up with a complete family because his parents were divorced and this really affected his childhood but through persistence and determination he was able to carve a niche for himself.
He was trained by his mother Sonya Copeland who did all she could as a mother to take care of her children and her motherly affection towards them guided them in the right path.
Sonya always made them believe that there’s hope for the future and the need to believe in themselves and not indulge in leading a bad life.
Regarding his education, Ben actually paid heed to his mother’s advice, he took his academic works seriously which made him stand out as one of the best in his class during his high school days at Southwestern High School.
During his graduation, he was honored as one of the best graduating students and his outstanding performance made way for him to attend the University. Ben went to Yale University and studied Psychology major and he graduated in 1973.
After his graduation from Yale University, Ben Carson wanted to study further and get a degree in Medicine. He enrolled in Medical School at Michigan State University and studied medicine but also majored in neurosurgery. He obtained his master of science degree from the University of Michigan.
When did Ben Carson pursue his political career?
- Following his graduation from medical school, he became a neurosurgery resident at the renowned Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore in 1977. From early on he displays great eye-hand coordination and proved himself to be a very good surgeon.
- He was invited to join the Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in Perth, Australia, in 1983, as Australia at that time did not have enough neurosurgeons with expertise in the field. Though initially reluctant to move so far away from home, Carson accepted the opportunity.
- He returned to Johns Hopkins in 1984 and was appointed the director of pediatric neurosurgery at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in 1985 when he was just 33; he also served as a co-director of the Johns Hopkins Craniofacial Center.
- He created history in 1987 when he led a team of doctors in a complicated surgery to separate two 7-month-old craniopagus twins. He was consulted for this case from Germany such was his reputation! He lived up to his image as his team successfully separated the boys.
- He was invited to South Africa in 1994 to separate another pair of conjoined twins, the Makwaeba twins. However, the surgery was not successful in spite of the surgeons’ best efforts and both the babies died.
- A few years later he went to Zambia with his team in 1997 to operate on the Banda twins, Luka, and Joseph who were joined at the tops of their heads. The surgery took a grueling 28 hours, but both the boys survived without suffering any brain damage.
- He was faced with a huge challenge in 2003 to separate adult conjoined twins, Ladan and Laleh Bijani who were 29-year-old Iranian women. Carson along with a team of 100 others performed the complicated surgery which proved to be more difficult than they had imagined. Unfortunately, both the ladies died shortly after the operation.
- The award-winning surgeon after a successful career announced his retirement at the beginning of 2013 and he finally retired on July 1, 2013.
- Few years after his retirement, Dr. Ben Carson decided to join US politics, he contested to be the Republican Party candidate but unfortunately, he didn’t make it and finally dropped out of the race. His rival Donald Trump later succeeded and made it through to become the president of the United States of America.
- Currently, Dr. Ben Carson has been appointed as the Secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development in America.
- In addition to his career as a neurosurgeon, he has also authored several books including ‘Gifted Hand Think Big’ (2000), ‘The Big Picture’ (2006), ‘Take the Risk’ (2009).
Does Ben Carson win the awards in his career?
- He received the Award for Greatest Public Service Benefiting the Disadvantaged, an award is given out annually by Jefferson Awards in 2000.
- He was honored with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the United States’ highest civilian award in 2008.
- He is also the recipient of several honorary doctorate degrees from reputed universities.
To whom Ben Carson was married?
Reflecting his personal life, The genius Ben Carson first met his wife named Lacena Candy Rustin when he was still a student at Yale University in 1971, his wife was a student as well.
The couple, however, decided to tie the knot in 1975. Ben and Candy currently live in their West Palm Beach mansion in Florida and they were blessed with three sons named Rhoeyce, Benjamin Jr., and Murray.
Ben Carson along with his wife also started a foundation called Carson’s Scholars Fund in 1994. Their aim was to use the foundation to give grants to students to encourage academic excellence.
How Much is Ben Carson Net Worth?
Ben Carson earned a fair amount of money through his political career. The retired surgeon has an estimated net worth of $ 30 million dollars. However, his salary is yet to be disclosed. In the case of disclose, we will let you know. Asides from being a surgeon, he is also a professor of oncology, plastic surgery, and pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins University of Medicine based in Baltimore.
How tall is Ben Carson?
Observing his body Physics, He has a Height of 6 feet and has a weight listed as 80 Kg. This concludes that he keeps a fit body. He has black hair and dark brown eyes. His other body information is yet to be disclosed. In the case of disclose, we will let you know.
Did You Know?
- He is a Republican.
- Before his career as a politician, he was a neuro-surgeon.
- He states that he had a violent temper in his youth.
- Visit out site for more updates.