Quick Facts Of Don Cherry
Celebrated Name Don Cherry Age 85 Years Nick Name Don, Grapes Birth Name Donald Stewart Cherry Birth Date 1934-02-05 Gender Male Profession Hockey Pundit Birth Nation Canada Place Of Birth Kingston, Ontario Nationality Canadian Ethnicity White Horoscope Aquarius Religion Christianity Education Will Update Soon… Father Delmar Cherry Mother Maude Cherry Siblings One Brothers Dick Cherry Height 5 feet 11 inches Weight 82 Kg Eye Color Blue Hair Color Grey Net Worth $14 Million Salary Under Review Source of Wealth Sports Industry Sexual Orientation Straight Marital Status Married Spouse Rosemarie Martini (M. 1957; Died 1997) and Luba Cherry (M. 1999 to Present) Children Two Son Tim Cherry Daughter Cindy Cherry Links Wikipedia, Instagram, Twitter
Don Cherry was a former Canadian ice hockey player, NHL coach, and commentator. He started playing ice hockey in the year 1954 and he played until 1972. During the time period of these 19 years, Don had gained quite an experience and he was promoted as a coach and later as a commentator. Let’s know more about him through this article.
Who are the parents of Don Cherry?
Recalling his early life, Cherry was born in Kingston, Ontario. He was born to Delmar (Del) and Maude Cherry as a Donald Stewart Cherry. His father Del was an amateur athlete who also worked as an electrician with the Canadian Steamship Lines. His younger brother, Dick Cherry is also a professional ice hockey player.
The information about his academic qualification is yet to be disclosed. Further, he is of Canadian nationality and belongs to white ethnicity. His birth sign is Aquarius and has faith in Christianity.
How Don Cherry become an ice hockey player?
- Talking about Don Cherry’s career, he played junior hockey with Barrie Flyers and Windsor Spitfires in the Ontario Hockey Association. In the match, Cherry won the title for the best defender and was awarded Memorial Cup. Cherry had a long playing career in professional minor hockey, and in 1955 played his only NHL game. Don is a great supporter of Sidney Crosby, who is also a Canadian ice hockey player.
- After his playing career was over, that was in 1972, he started coaching. But before that Cherry struggled for a time as a Cadillac salesman and a construction worker. He worked as a house painter earning $2 per hour. Finally, in the year 1972, he became the coach of American Hockey League’s Rochester Americans and won Coach of the Year.
- After he took retirement from coaching he became a commentator on the same sport. From 1984 to 2019, Cherry co-hosted Don Cherry’s Grapeline with Brian Williams, first on CFRB radio in Toronto and its sister stations, moving in 1994 to The FAN 590 and the Sportsnet Radio network. At its peak, the show was carried on over 100 stations across Canada and on several stations in the United States.
- On November 9, 2019, Cherry received criticism for remarks he made during Coach’s Corner that complained that he has seen people wearing remembrance poppies to honor fallen Canadian soldiers less frequently and singled out those he believes are immigrants in the Toronto area.
Who is Don Cherry married to?
Reflecting on his personal life, Cherry has been married twice thus far. The first was in 1957 to Rosemarie Martini. The two were so close that she went from just being his wife to being his manager, accountant, and many other things. Following a battle with cancer, Rosemarie died in 1997, and in the year of 1999, Cherry got married again to Luba Cherry.
From his first marriage, Cherry had two children; Tim Cherry and Cindy Cherry. When Tim was 13th, he suffered from kidney failure and Cindy who was the elder of two donated one of hers to Tim.
What is the net worth of Don Cherry?
As an ice hockey commentator, Cherry earns a decent amount of money and fame in the field of the sports industry. Based on online reports, his estimated net worth said to be $14 million at present and his salary is yet to be disclosed.
How tall is Don Cherry?
Observing his body statistics, Cherry stands a height of 5 feet 11 inches and weighs around 82 Kg. He has a pair of blue eyes and grey hair color. His other body information is yet to be disclosed. In the case of disclosed, we will let you know.
Did You Know?
- Won Jack Adams award as NHL coach of the year in 1976.
- During his 16 years in the minor leagues, he had to move his family 53 times.