Quick Facts Of George R. R. Martin
Celebrated Name George R. R. Martin Age 71 Years Nick Name GRRM Birth Name George Raymond Martin Birth Date 1948-09-20 Gender Male Profession Writer, Novelist, Producer, and Screenwriter Birth Nation USA Place Of Birth Bayonne, New Jersey Nationality American Ethnicity Mixed School Mary Jane Donohoe School High School Marist High School University Northwestern University Educational Qualification B.S. and M.S. in Journalism Marital Status Married Spouse Gale Burnick (M. 1975; Div. 1979) and Parris McBride (M. 2011 to present) Children No Father Raymond Collins Martin Mother Margaret Brady Martin Siblings Two Sisters Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten Height 5 foot 6 inches Net Worth $80 million Salary $25 million [Annually] Source of Wealth Writing Career Sexual Orientation Straight Links Wikipedia, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook
George R.R. Martin is an American short story writer and novelist in the science fiction genres, a television producer and screenwriter. He is best known for the bestseller series, A Song of Ice and Fire, which was later adapted into a television series, Game of Thrones, by HBO. George currently serves as the co-executive producer for the TV show and has scripted four episodes. In 2005, he was named as “the American Tolkien” and one of the”most influential people in the world” by the Time magazine.
What is George R.R. Martin known for?
- An American short story writer and novelist in the science fiction genres.
- A television producer and screenwriter.
- The American Tolkien and The most influential people in the world.
Where is George R.R. Martin born?
Back to his early life, George was born in Bayonne, New Jersey, the U.S. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski, and Janet Martin Patten. His birth name is George Raymond Martin.
George’s father was of half Italian descent and his mother of half Irish ancestry. The family moved to the Bayonne Docks in 1953. George attended the Mary Jane Donohoe School and the Marist High School. George did his B.S. and M.S. in journalism from Northwestern University.
When did George R.R. Martin pursue his writing career?
- After graduation, George worked as a VISTA volunteer for two years with the Cook County Legal Assistance Foundation. A proficient chess player, George handled chess tournaments for the Continental Chess Association.
- Later, George joined the Clarke University as a journalism and English professor. He became the Writer in Residence during that time. George started writing full time and moved to Santa Fe, in 1977.
- George sold his first short story, The Hero, to the Galaxy magazine, at the age of 21. Morning Comes Mistfall was nominated for the Hugo award and Nebula awards. George served as the Vice President of the Science Fiction Fantasy Writers of America.
- In 1991, George wrote his first novel, The Song of Ice and Fire, released in 1996 under the name The Game of Thrones. His novels from the series, The Song of Ice and Fire featured on the New York Times Bestsellers and ranked No. 1 on the Wall Street Journal’s bestseller list.
- Moving on to Hollywood, Martin signed on as a story editor for Twilight Zone at CBS Television in 1986. In 1987 Martin became an Executive Story Consultant for Beauty and the Beast at CBS. In 1988 he became a Producer for Beauty and the Beast, then in 1989 moved up to Co-Supervising Producer. He was Executive Producer for Doorways, a pilot which he wrote for Columbia Pictures Television, which was filmed during 1992-93.
- George’s works have been nominated for the Quill Award, British Fantasy Award, Hugo Award, World Fantasy Award, and Locus Poll Award. The novel, A Dance with the Dragons, won the Locus Poll Award for the Best Fantasy Novel in 2012.
- In August 2016 Martin announced that Universal Cable Productions had acquired the rights to adapt the Wild Cards novels into a television series.
- In 2017, Martin confirmed he will serve as an executive producer of the HBO television series adaptation of the 2010 novel Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor.
- HBO confirmed that season 8 has been ordered and that it would be the last of the series, airing in 2019. In November 2016, President of Programming Casey Bloys indicated that he had had preliminary discussions about a prequel spinoff to the Game of Thrones series with Martin. According to Casey Bloys, Martin is co-writing two of the four announced scripts.
- Further, George has a fan club called Brotherhood Without Banners, which focuses on his hit novel series.
To whom George R.R. Martin was married?
George has been married twice thus far in his life. His first marriage was to Gale Burnick and that was in 1975. Before meeting Gale and marrying her, he had also dated another writer, Lisa Tuttle for some time. His marriage which had Bridge Over Troubled Waters as the wedding song did not last long as it ended only 4 years later in 1979.
After his marriage to Gale Burnick crashed, he would go on to marry Parris McBride in 2011. The two met as far back as 1975, but it was until in the 1980s that they began dating. Before they decided to get married, the two had been living together for many years.
It gets very interesting to note that with both his first wife, Gale Burnick and Parris McBride who was his partner for a long time before settling down as man and wife, George does not have any kids. In fact, he has never had any children in his entire life.
Together with his wife, Parris McBride, George now lives in New Mexico where he has been for a long time.
How much is George R.R. Martin net worth?
Despite being named one of the Highest Earning Authors in the world today. He has estimated net worth somewhere around $80 million. Similarly, He has a $25 million salary per year. As of now, Martin lives a surprisingly simple and frugal lifestyle with his wife.
How tall is George R.R. Martin?
A rich bearded and grey-haired individual who has since gone past the mid ages, the writer is not necessarily a man of much height even though he is well built. His actual height is 5 feet 6 inches (1.68 m). That said, his weight or general body measurements are still unknown.