Quick Facts Of John Bel Edwards
Celebrated Name John Bel Edwards Age 53 Years Nick Name John Birth Name John Bel Edwards Birth Date 1966-09-16 Gender Male Profession Attorney Birth Nation United States Place Of Birth Amite, Louisiana Nationality American Ethnicity White Horoscope Virgo Best Known For 1st democrat to win re-election of governor of Louisiana Father Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff Frank M. Edwards Jr Mother Dora Jean Marital Status Married Spouse Donna Edwards Children 3 Daughter Sarah and Samantha Edwards Son John Miller Edwards Net Worth $4.8 million
John Bel Edwards is an American politician, military veteran, and attorney who currently serves as the 56th governor of Louisiana. He is serving as the governor of Louisiana since 2016. He is also a US Army veteran who has served with the 82nd Airborne Divison, reaching the rank of the captain. In 2019, he became the 1st democrat to win re-election since 1975.
What is John Bel Edwards famous for?
- Famous as an American politician and current governor of Louisiana.
When was John Bel Edwards born?
John Bel Edwards was born on September 16, 1966, in Amite, Louisiana, United States. American is his nationality. His birth name is John Bel Edwards. His ethnicity is White while Virgo is his zodiac sign.
John Edwards was born in a well-to-do family with a governmental background. Edwards is the son of Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff Frank M. Edwards Jr(father) and Dora Jean(mother). His father was a member of the administration of Louisiana Governor Edwin Edwards.
Edward was raised in his hometown where he attended Amite High School and graduated as valedictorian in 1984. Later, he attended the United States Military Academy and graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering. He also graduated earning a J.D. degree from the Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center in 1999.
Edward served as a vice-chairman of West Point honor code panel. He even completed Airborne School while he was at West Point in 1986. Edward also completed the Infantry Officer Basic Course at Fort Benning(1988), Ranger School(1989), and the Infantry Officer Advanced Course(1992). He has sibling brothers, Frank Millard Edwards who is the head of police of Independence, Louisiana and Christopher Edwards who passed away in an auto accident in 2011.
John Bel Edwards Career Highlights
- John Edwards served for almost 8 years in the Army mostly in the 25th Infantry Division and 82nd Airborne Division.
- Edwards also practiced attorney with the Edwards & Associates Law Firm in Amite.
- He is a moderate Democrat who is anti-abortion and pro-gun rights.
- Edward also ran for a seat in the Louisiana House of Representatives in 2007.
- He was the only freshman lawmaker to chair a committee in the legislature.
- In 2011, Edwards was re-elected to the Louisiana House of Representatives against Johnny Duncan.
- Edwards became the Louisiana House Minority Leader after he served as the chairman of the Louisiana House Democratic Caucus.
- In 2013, he announced that he would run for governor in 2015 and eventually won the election.
- Edwards supported Obama in the 2012 Democratic National Convention and Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election..
- On April 13, 2016, Edwards signed an executive order to protect lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people from harassment.
- In May 2018, Edwards signed a bill into law banning abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy.
- On November 16, 2019, Louisiana became the second GOP-dominated state this month in which a Democrat narrowly won a gubernatorial race against a candidate backed by President Donald Trump
Who is John Bel Edwards Married to?
John Bel Edwards is a married man. Edwards is married to his husband, Donna Edwards. Donna is a well-educated woman who graduated with a Business degree in Industrial Management from the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg. She is a professional teacher. The couple together has three children: two daughters, Sarah and Samantha Edwards, and one son, John Miller Edwards.
Besides, he is a Roman Catholic and also a parishioner of the St. Helena Roman Catholic Church in Amite. He even won his second GTT Golf Tournament run by his West Point classmates on March 16, 2019.
What is the net worth of John Bel Edwards?
John Bel Edwards has quiet a great earning through his professional career as a governor and attorney. Edwards has managed to amass a fortune worth million dollars through his several posts and services. His current estimated net worth is around $4.8 million.
How tall is John Bel Edwards?
The 53 years old governor, John Bel Edwards has an average body physique. Edwards has fair complexion with grey hair and brown eyes.