Quick Facts Of John Cho
Celebrated Name John Cho Age 47 Years Nick Name John Birth Name John Yo Han Cho Birth Date 1972-06-16 Gender Male Profession Actor Place Of Birth Seoul, South Korea Nationality American Education University of California Ethnicity Korean Famous For Film, Actor, Musician Horoscope Gemini Hair Color Dark Brown Eye Color Dark Brown Height 5 feet 10 inches Net Worth $ 20 million Marital Status Married Married Date June, 2006 Children Two Wife Kerri Higuchi Religion Christianity Birth Nation South Korea Weight 78 Kg Current City Los Angeles, California, U.S Face Color White Bicep Size 15 inches Waist Size 35 inches Source of Wealth Acting Career Sexual Orientation Straight Links Wikipedia, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook
Racism still exists in today’s world. Despite all the problems regarding racism and prejudice, John Cho from South Korea has honed his skills and is known among native Hollywood actors. Now let’s know more about him including his married life and facts through this biography!
What is John Cho Famous for?
- An American television and film actor and musician.
- His appearances in the film like ‘American Pie’, the TV series ‘Harold and Kumar’, and the film ‘Star Trek beyond’.
John Cho to star in Netflix live-action ‘Cowboy Bebop’ series
John Cho will star in the live-action adaptation of the anime “Cowboy Bebop,” Netflix announced. He will play the leading role as Spike Spiegel in the series based on the popular anime about a crew of bounty hunters in space.
The casting of an actor of Asian descent in the project brought a sigh of relief among people who’ve called for more diversity in casting. Hollywood has been accused of whitewashing Asian characters with white actors. Examples include Scarlett Johansson as the Japanese protagonist in the animé “Ghost in the Shell,” Tilda Swinton being cast as the Tibetan mystic in “Doctor Strange” and Emma Stone in the movie “Aloha” as Hawaiian-Chinese love interest, Allison Ng.
Casting white actors as ethnic characters have stirred controversy and concerns about the lack of representation.
Cho, who is Korean American, was the subject of a social media meme in 2016 called #StarringJohnCho that showed what major films would look like if they cast Asian and Asian-American actors like Cho in lead roles instead.
William Yu, the creator of that meme tweeted Thursday: “COWBOY. BEBOP. STARRING. JOHN. CHO. LETS. GO.”
Where is John Cho grew up?
John Cho was born as John Yo Han Cho in Seoul, South Korea to a Christian family. His ethnicity is Korean. His father was a minister in the Church of Christ. The family moved to California, USA when John was 6 years old. John Cho was brought up in Los Angeles.
John Cho loves his father tremendously and harbors a desire to make a film on his father’s experience in North Korea. John Cho is a highly talented and fine actor. He admits that had he continued to stay in South Korea he would not have attained the status that he has now.
He attended Herbert Hoover High School, Glendale, California. He completed his BA in English from the University of California, Berkeley in 1996. He served as an English teacher at Pacific Hills School, West Hollywood, California and simultaneously worked at East West Player’s theater (Asian-American) in Los Angeles.
When did John Cho pursue his acting career?
- While working as a teacher, Cho also performed as an actor with the East West Players Asian American theatre organization in Los Angeles. After appearing in a number of low-budget movies, John Cho landed his breakthrough role as one of the ‘MILF’ guys in the 1999 teen comedy film American Pie which was a box office hit. Thanks to the success of the first movie, American Pie snowballed into a film series with 2 extra installments that followed in quick succession: American Pie 2 (2001) and American Wedding (2003) in which John Cho reprised his ‘MILF’ guy role in both sequels.
- In 2009, a 3rd sequel tagged American Reunion was added to the American Pie film series. John Cho’s character was expanded in this 4th installment and the character which was previously known as “MILF guy number 2” was then named John after the actor himself.
- John Cho recorded his first lead role in the 2004 stoner comedy film Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle in which he played the role of Harold Lee, a Korean American investment banker. The talented actor equally reprised his role in the film’s sequels Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay (2008) and A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (2011).
- John Cho also had a starring role opposite Seth Meyers in the comedy film See This Movie (2004) as well as the 2007 film West 32nd. Cho also portrayed the character Hikaru Sulu in the Sci-fi blockbuster Star Trek (2009) and reprised his role in the film’s sequels Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) and Star Trek Beyond (2016). The talented actor also portrayed the lead character David Kim in the thriller movie Searching (2018) which premiered at the 2018 Sundance Film Festival.
- On April 4, 2019, Variety reported that Cho has been cast as Spike Spiegel alongside with Mustafa Shakir, Daniella Pineda and Alex Hassell who had been cast to play the roles of Jet Black, Faye Valentine and Vicious in the live-action Cowboy Bebop series.
- In addition to his notable movie roles, John Cho has also achieved several acting credits on the small screen. In the early years of his career, he portrayed the main character Chau Presley in the sitcom Off Centre (2001-02). He featured alongside Bradley Cooper in the short-lived sitcom Kitchen Confidential (2005-06). He also had starring roles in the comedy series FlashForward (2009–10), Go On (2012–13) and Selfie (2014). He also portrayed the main character Andrew Kim in the horror drama series The Exorcist (2017).
- Further, John Cho was featured in People Magazine’s list of the sexiest men alive in 2006 and also in 2009.
Who is the wife of John Cho?
There are millions of female fans of John, but none of them has any chance over him. It is because he is a married man.
After dating for his girlfriend around a year, John finally decided to marry her and turned his girlfriend, Kerri Higuchi, to wife in July 2006. His wife is none other than a director of ‘Mr. Issac’ released in 2005. Moreover, she was also seen in Selfie show as Michelle.
From this marriage, John and his wife have welcomed their first son and named him Kage Cho in May 2008. Moreover, his wife gave birth to a daughter in 2013. As of now, John is living peacefully with his two kids and wife.
How much net worth John Cho accumulate?
As a successful actor, John earns millions of dollars per year. As of 2019, His net worth is estimated at $20 million. However, his salary was not disclosed yet. In the case of disclosed, we will let you know. His source of income comes from his acting career.
How tall is John Cho?
Observing his body statistics, John is decently tall possessing a height of 5 feet 10 inches and weighs about 78 kilos. According to some sources, his biceps measure 15 inches and waist measures 35 inches. His skin is white toned, has dark brown hair and eyes.
Did You Know?
- His father was a Christian minister.
- John immigrated to Los Angeles, California in 1978, when he was just six years old.
- He has worked on nine projects that have been either directed or produced by Chris Weitz and Paul Weitz.