Quick Facts Of Joy Behar
Celebrated Name Joy Behar Age 77 Years Nick Name Joie Birth Name Josephina Victoria Occhiuto Birth Date 1942-10-07 Gender Female Profession Actor Birth Nation USA Nationality American Place Of Birth Williamsburg, Brooklyn, New York Religion Catholic Father Gino Occhiuto Mother Rose Carbone Ethnicity White Siblings No Horoscope Libra High School Washington Irving High School College / University Queens College University State University of New York Educational Qualification Master’s Degree in English Height 5 feet 6 inches Weight 57 Kg Eye Color Brown Hair Color Blonde Marital Status Married Spouse Joe Behar (M. 1965; Div. 1982) and Steve Janowitz (M. 2011 to present) Children Eve Behar Sexual Orientation Straight Net Worth $12 Million Source of Wealth Acting Career Salary Under Review Links Wikipedia, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook
Joy Behar is a noted American comedian, actress, talk show host, and writer. She has hosted several talk shows on TV, namely, ‘The View’, ‘The Joy Behar Show’, ‘Joy Behar: Say Anything!’ and ‘Late Night Joy’. She was a high school English teacher before joining the showbiz.
After a near-fatal ectopic pregnancy at the age of 37, she became a receptionist at ‘Good Morning America’ in hopes of getting a bigger role. Concurrently, she started presenting comedy routines in small clubs in New York, before getting a foothold in more well-known clubs. She was creating quite a buzz on the comedy scene in New York and by the age of 44, she started appearing on television.
A year later, she got her own show called, ‘Way Off Broadway’. Soon, she was appearing in small roles in TV series, films and Broadway shows. Behar became a household name in 1997 when she started co-hosting ‘The View’, a role she continues to play even today. Simultaneously, she hosts her own shows and has published five books. Let’s know more about the multi-talented actress through this article.
What is Joy Behar known for?
Josephine Victoria “Joy” Behar is an American writer, comedian, and actress. She co-hosts The View’s daily talk show on the ABC. From 2009 to 2011, she hosted the HLN Joy Behar Show and Joy Behar: Say Anything! Late Night Joy, Behar’s latest late-night weekly talk show, aired on TLC in 2015. She has also written The Great Gasbag: An A–Z Surviving Trump World Study Guide.
Who are the parents of Joy Behar?
Recalling her early life, Joy Behar was born as Josephine Victoria Behar in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, New York, U.S. Her father Gino Occhiuto was a truck driver at the Coca-Cola Company and her mother Rose Occhiuto was a seamstress. She was the only child of her parents. She holds American citizenship and is of mixed (Italian-American) ethnicity.
Regarding her education, Joy graduated from Washington Irving High School and studied sociology at Queens College, New York City University. She graduated from college in 1964 and was enrolled for a master’s degree in English at Stony Brook University.
When did Joy Behar begin to start acting?
- Talking about her career, Joy began her career at Lindenhurst Senior High School as an English teacher. She quit her teaching job and decided to try her luck as a comedian in the television industry.
- Joy worked as a receptionist and worked in Good Morning America for two years before being promoted as a production assistant. She started to present comedies at various New York City nightclubs. Her comics were based on her family, women’s issues as well as gender equality, political and social issues.
- Joy was on The New Show, aired on NBC. She returned as a guest star to Good Morning America last year. She marked her success as she received her talk show Way Off-Broadway on Lifetime Television, but she ran for only one series.
- She also hosted Queens ‘ Life and appeared in various comedy series such as Cookie and One Night Stand. She was selected as an original panel member for ‘ The View ‘, a daytime talk show that was broadcast on ABC on August 11, 1997.
- She appeared on the show three times a week, taking the celebrities ‘ interviews. After seventeen years of service, she left the show and presented her last appearance in August 2013.
- Throughout 2014 and 2015, however, she appeared on the show as a guest co-host. On October 10, 2016, Behar received a significant amount of criticism for referring to Bill Clinton’s sexual assault accusers as “tramps.” Behar apologized for the sexual slur shortly afterward.
- On February 13, 2018, Behar accused Vice President Mike Pence of having a mental illness because he stated that he hears Jesus speak to him. She later apologized to Pence for what were termed “anti-Christian” remarks.
- In the 1987 movie Hiding Out, she made her acting debut. She was playing Gertrude’s role. Behar subsequently appeared in the 1989 Cookie movie, playing Dottie’s role.
- She then landed a recurring role in the Baby Boom TV series, playing the Helga Von Haupt character from 1988 to 1989. She also played Nashville, Ice Age: Continental Drift, Ugly Betty, and Spin City. Behar is also a published author. Her first book, Joy Shtick, was published in 1999.
Who is Joy Behar married to?
Reflecting on her personal life, Joy Behar was married twice in her life. In 1965, while studying for her master’s degree, she married her ex-husband Joseph Behar. She settled down at Centereach in Long Island after graduating as her husband continued to work at Stony Brook for his Ph.D. The couple shares a daughter born on November 26, 1970, Eve Behar. They got divorced in 1981, and Joy got custody of their daughter.
Joy began a relationship with a school teacher Steve Janowitz, after a year of her divorce. The couple decided to get married in 2009, but sometime later they called off their engagement. The pair finally tied the knot after 29 years of living together on August 11, 2011. They still share a strong bond.
How much net worth does Joy Behar own?
As an actress, Joy earns a decent amount of money and fame in the field of the entertainment industry. As per online sites, her estimated net worth said to be $12 million at present. However, her salary is yet to be disclosed. Further, she makes money as an actress.
How tall is Joy Behar?
Observing her body physics, Joy Behar stands a height of 5 feet 6 inches tall and has a normal weight of 57 Kg. She has brown eyes color and has blonde hair. Her body measurements are 38-31-41 inches.
Did You Know?
- Former English teacher.
- Has won three MAC awards and a CableACE Award.
- She was a secretary at Good Morning America (1975) and answered the phones.
- First married at age 22 and first divorced at age 39.