Quick Facts Of Mary Lou Retton
Celebrated Name Mary Lou Retton Age 51 Years Nick Name Retton Birth Name Mary Lou Retton Kelley Birth Date 1968-01-24 Gender Female Profession Athlete Nationality American Marital Status Married Place Of Birth Fairmont, West Virginia Husband Shannon Kelley Religion Baptist Best Known For 1984 Summer Olympics High School Fairmont Senior High School Endorsment Wheaties Net Worth $8 million Horoscope Aquarius Ethnicity White Height 1.45 m Weight 42 kg Sexual Orientation Straight Body Build/Type Athletic Debut Movie Scrooged
Mary Lou Retton Kelley, a retired American gymnast. Her performance made her one of the most popular athletes in the United States. She is professionally known as Mary Lou Retton.
She was the first ever American woman to win the all-around gold medal at the Olympics and was the only one to do so for twenty years. She also became the first female gymnast from outside Eastern Europe to win the individual all-around gold. She was named Sports Illustrated Magazine’s “Sportswoman of the Year.” She appeared on a Wheaties box and became the cereal’s first official spokeswoman.
Gossip and Rumor
Mary Lou Retton throws a huge tantrum after ‘Dancing with the Star’ elimination. She believed that she should have given her more credit because of what she was going through. But according to judges, they think that she was the weaker contestant.
- Being the most successful and devoted American gymnasts.
- She has won 1 gold medal, 2 silver medal and 2 bronze medals at Olympics.
Early Life of Retton
Mary Lou Retton was born on 24 January 1968 at Fairmont, West Virginia. She is of Italian heritage. She was born to Ronnie Retton and Lois Retton. She belongs to American nationality. She has an older sister. She is a devout Christian and has called The Bible her favorite book.
She attended Fairmont Senior High School. She competed in the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles, California, during her sophomore year of high school. She grew up in a Christian home. She and her family attend Second Baptist Church Houston.
Body Features of Retton
Retton’s height is 1.45 m and weight is 42 kg. Her hair color is dark brown and eye color is also dark brown. Her body build is athletic. Overall, she has a balanced and healthy body.
Career of Retton
- In 1983, she won the American Cup and Chunichi Cup.
- In 1983 and 1984, she won the American Classic.
- She won the all-around gold medal by 0.05 points, beating Szabo and becoming the first American to receive the all-around gold medal.
- In 1985, she won the American Cup all-around competition for the third and final time.
- In 1986, she retired.
- In 1992, she was elected to the National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame.
- In 1997, she was inducted into the International Gymnastics Hall of Fame.
- She was an outspoken supporter of the Reagan Administration in the United States.
- She delivered the Pledge of Allegiance with fellow former gymnast and 1996 Olympic gold medalist Kerri Strug on the second night of the 2004 Republican National Convention.
- She worked as a spokeswoman for the US drugstore chain Revco.
- In 1985, she hosted the ‘ABC Funfit’ for five minutes on physical fitness.
- In 1988, she appeared in ‘Scrooged’.
- In 1992, she played in ‘Knots Landing’.
- In 1993, she appeared in series named ‘Bay Watch’.
- In 2002, she appeared in ‘Mary Lou’s Flip Fop Shop’.
- In 2014, she made a cameo appearance in the ‘RadioShack Super Bowl XLVII’ commercial ‘The 80’s Called’.
- In 2018, she appeared as a contestant on the 27th season of ‘Dancing with the Stars’.
Relationship of Retton
Retton is a married woman. She was married to former University of Texas quarterback and Houston real estate developer Shannon Kelley, who now works for the Houston Baptist University athletic department. The couple has four daughters named as Shayla who was born on 1995, McKenna who was born on 1997, Skyla who was born in 2000 and Emma who was born on 2002. But the couple got divorced in February 2018.
Net Worth of Retton
The former American professional gymnast’s net worth is $8 million.
Did You Know?
- She started her journey at a local club in her hometown of Fairmont.
- She got the inspiration to become a gymnast through the 1976 Summer Olympics in which Nadia Comăneci managed to defeat defending Olympic two-event winner Olga Korbut.