Quick Facts Of Skepta
Celebrated Name Skepta Age 37 Years Nick Name Big Smoke, Skepta Birth Name Joseph Junior Adenuga Birth Date 1982-09-19 Gender Male Profession Grim Artist, Rapper and Songwriter Birth Nation United Kingdom Place Of Birth Tottenham, North London, England Nationality British Ethnicity Black Horoscope Virgo Religion Christianity Education Winchmore Council School Marital Status Unmarried – In a Relationship Girl Friend Naomi Campbell Children One Father Joseph Adenuga Mother Ivy Adenuga Siblings Four Height 6 feet 0 inches Weight 75 Kg Eye Color Black Hair Color Black Net Worth $2 Million Salary Under Review Source of Wealth Music Industry Sexual Orientation Straight Links Wikipedia, Instagarm, Twitter, Facebook
Skepta is a British grime artist, rapper, and songwriter, famous for his raps that are full of self-aggrandizement and anti-establishment sloganeering. With four studio albums and five mixtapes, this Tottenham-born record producer and music video director has worked his way up the ladder in the music industry with great determination.
Today, he has effectively captured the attention of the next-gen population and has achieved widespread recognition despite remaining an independent artist. He draws big crowds at festivals and events globally. In spite of being a celebrity, he seems to be a down-to-earth person moving around with no security guards, as he does not like the idea of security guards pushing people away from him. A strong believer in the concept of togetherness, he upholds that getting in touch with one’s own life purpose is important to achieve success.
Who are the parents of Skepta?
Recalling his early life, Skepta was born as Joseph Junior Adenuga in Tottenham, North London, UK. His parents Ivy Adenuga and Joseph Adenuga are from Nigeria and migrated to England in hopes of a better future for their children. His mother has written a book about her escape from the Nigerian civil war.
He is the eldest of four siblings and grew up on Meridian Walk Estate in Tottenham. His brother Jamie Adenuga, well known as Jme, is a musician. Regarding his education, Skepta studied in Winchmore Council School.
When did Skepta begin to start singing?
- Skepta started his music career by emceeing at rap performances and appearing on pirate radios. He worked as a DJ in Meridian Crew, a Tottenham-based grime crew. During that time, he released a number of instrumentals including the ‘DTI (Pirate Station Anthem)’ and ‘Private Caller’.
- After Meridian Crew was disbanded in 2005, Skepta, his brother Jme and fellow rapper Joseph Bamber joined Roll Deep, a grime crew.
- In 2006, Skepta, along with Jme, started ‘Boy Better Know’, an English grime collective and record label. It was founded in North London as an independent record label. The members of the collective also published their music through this record label.
- After the formation of ‘Boy Better Know’, Skepta did a competition with fellow MC Devilman for the DVD ‘Lord of the Mics 2.’ The clash is still remembered as one of the biggest clashes in grime history. After the successful clash, he released a mixtape titled ‘Joseph Junior Adenuga.’
- He released his debut album ‘Greatest Hits’ on September 17, 2007, through ‘Boy Better Know’. On September 15, 2008, he independently released ‘Rolex Sweep’ as a digital download. It became the lead single from his second studio album ‘Microphone Champion’. ‘Rolex Sweep’ peaked at No. 86 on the UK Singles Chart.
- He released his second studio album ‘Microphone Champion’ on June 1, 2009. The album included ‘Rolex Sweep’, which was the first single of the album to be released on September 15, 2008. It peaked at No. 86 on the UK Singles Chart.
- ‘Too Many Man’, the second single from the album, was released on May 18, 2009, which reached No. 79 on the UK Singles Chart. The third single from the album, ‘Lush’, was released on October 12, 2009.
- His third studio album ‘Doin’ It Again’, was released on January 31, 2011, on Boy Better Know. Prior to the album’s release, five singles were released, four of which appeared on the UK Top 40 Singles chart.
- ‘Bad Boy’ was the lead song, which was released as a digital download on March 15, 2010. ‘Rescue Me’, the second single, was released as a digital download on June 27, 2010. The third single, ‘Cross My Heart’, which featured vocals by singer Preeya Kalidas, was also released as a digital download on October 17, 2010.
- The fourth song ‘So Alive’ was released as a single on February 6, 2011. ‘Amnesia’, the fifth single, was released on February 27, 2011. It reached No.164 on the UK Singles Chart. ‘Rescue Me’ was the most successful, and peaked at No.14.
- In 2012, he released two singles from his upcoming fourth album, ‘Hold On’ and ‘Make Peace Not War’. The singles found placed in the Top 40 charting singles in the UK. After a lukewarm response from the first two singles, he released a mixtape ‘Blacklisted’ on December 2, 2012.
- On June 8, 2014, he released a single, ‘That’s Not Me’, which featured his brother Jme. The single peaked at No. 21 on the UK charts. It later became the lead single from his fourth album ‘Konnichiwa’. That same month, he did a verse for the remix of ‘German Whip’ by Meridian Dan.
- In 2014, he released another single ‘It Ain’t Safe’, followed by ‘Shutdown’ in 2015. On February 14, 2016, he released the single ‘Ladies Hit Squad’, which featured American rapper A$AP Nast and grime artist D Double E.
- On May 6, 2016, ‘Boy Better Know’ released Skepta’s fourth studio album ‘Konnichiwa’. The album was launched at a party in Tokyo, and Skepta performed the complete album live. The album had four major singles, out of which ‘That’s Not Me’, ‘Shutdown’ and ‘Man’ reached the Top 40 charts.
- The album received widespread acclaim from critics. It was also included in a number of top albums lists of 2016 on the international level. ‘The Guardian’ and ‘Apple Music’ named it as the best album of 2016.
- In April 2017, he began his ‘Banned From America’ tour. It included 14 shows in the US and Europe. The tour had been named as such because his earlier US tour was canceled as his visa to enter the US was denied.
- Skepta features on A$AP Rocky’s hit “Praise the Lord (Da Shine)”, which was released in May 2018. The single charted on the Billboard Hot 100. Also in May, Skepta released his single “Pure Water”, which peaked at number 78 in the UK. He followed this in June with “Energy (Stay Far Away)” with Wizkid, which reached number 59.
Is Skepta married or not?
Reflecting on his personal life, Skepta has been so private about his life behind closed doors. Previously, he revealed his love relationship with his girlfriend Naomi Campbell. The couple gave birth to a lovely child at the end of 2018 and the news also highlighted that the couple tied the knot upcoming days.
But as per recent online sources, Skepta rumor to be dating Adele which is shocking news for the reader. According to The Sun, the new couple has been in contact since Adele first announced her split with Konecki in April. To know more interesting facts about him, stay tuned with us.
How much net worth does Skepta?
From his career, Skepta earns the sum of a good amount of money and fame as a singer in the field of the music industry. As per online sites, his estimated net worth said to be $2 million as of 2019. However, his salary is yet to be disclosed.
How tall is Skepta?
Observing his body statistics, Skepta stands a height of 6 feet 0 inches and weighs around 75 Kg. His both eyes and hair color is black. Further, his other body information is yet to be disclosed. In the case of an update, we will let you know.
Did You Know?
- Adenuga has stated ‘DIY’ music is the future.
- He is the winner of the 2016 Mercury Prize.
- In 2015, he started gaining popularity in the U.S, after his co-signs with Kanye West and Drake.