Quick Facts Of Viola Davis
Celebrated Name Viola Davis Age 54 Years Nick Name Davis Birth Name Viola Davis Birth Date 1965-08-11 Gender Female Profession Actress and Producer Birth Nation USA Place Of Birth Saint Matthews, South Carolina Nationality American Ethnicity Afro-American Horoscope Leo Religion Christianity High School Central Falls High School Education Young People’s School and Juilliard School Marital Status Married Husband Julius Tennon Children Three Father Dan Davis Mother Mary Alice Davis Siblings Six Height 5 feet 5 inches Weight 59 Kg Body Measurement 37-27-36 inches Bra Cup Size 42C (US) Eye Color Dark Brown Hair Color Dark Brown Face Color Black Dress Size 8 (US) Shoe Size 9 (US) Net Worth $12 Million Salary Under Review Source of Wealth Acting Career Sexual Orientation Straight Links Wikipedia, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook
Viola Davis is an American actress and producer who won the Best Supporting Actress category at the 2017 Oscars. For a black woman in Hollywood, the level of success she has managed to attained can sometimes seem surreal. She is, however, as real as they come. After stealing countless hearts with her consistently riveting performances in various acting endeavors ranging from TV to theater, she also manages to cement her place in the said heart with the profound speeches she seems able to cough up at the slightest encouragement. To know more about her, read below.
Who are the parents of Viola Davis?
Recalling her early life, Viola Davis was born in Saint Matthews, South Carolina, USA. She is the daughter of African-American parents Mary Alice Davis and Dan Davis. She is the second youngest of six siblings. Her father worked as a horse trainer and her mother was a factory worker and homemaker. Her mother was an activist during the Civil Rights Movement. Viola is an American by nationality and belongs to African-American ethnicity.
Davis was taken to jail with her mother after she was arrested during a civil rights protest at the age of two. During her childhood, her family moved to Central Falls, Rhode Island. She spent her early life in Central Falls, Rhode Island with her siblings and grandparents.
Regarding her education, Davis completed her high school education from Central Falls High School. After high school, she attended Young People’s School for the Performing Arts in West Warwick, Rhode Island. From there, she graduated in 1988. After that, she attended the Juilliard School in 1989 and graduated in 1993.
When did Viola Davis begin acting in the film industry?
- Davis began her acting career in the mid-1990s. Her first acting role was in the 1996 movie The Substance of Fire. She then earned her Screen Actors Guild card for playing a nurse in the film. She made her TV acting debut in an episode of NYPD Blue (1996). Davis first rose to fame after playing Nurse Lynnette Peeler in the TV film City of Angels (2000).
- In 2001, she played the character Tonya in King Hedley II, for which she won the Tony Award and a Drama Desk Award. In 2004, she won another Drama Desk Award for her work in the off-Broadway production of Intimate Apparel by Lynn Nottage.
- Since then, Davis has appeared in numerous movies and TV films. In 2008, she portrayed the character Mrs. Miller in the film adaptation to the Broadway play Doubt. For her performance, she was nominated for a Golden Globe and an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. She was inducted into The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in 2009.
- Davis has appeared in many TV films and series including Century City (2004), Life Is Not a Fairytale: The Fantasia Barrino Story (2006), and Jesse Stone: Sea Change (2007). Since 2014, she portrays the lead character Professor Annalise Keating in the series How to Get Away with Murder.
- For her role in the series, she won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series. She is the first black woman to win the award. She also won two Screen Actors Guild Awards for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series in 2015 and 2016 for her role in the same series.
- Davis portrayed the character Amanda Waller in the superhero action film Suicide Squad (2016). That same year, she reprised the role of Rose Maxson in the film adaptation of Fences. For her role in the movie, she won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.
- Moreover, she won the BAFTA Award, Critics’ Choice Award, SAG Award and Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress for the same movie. She appeared as Veronica in the movie Widows (2018).
Who is Viola Davis married to?
Reflecting her personal life, Viola Davis is a married woman for a long time. She is married to actor Julius Tennon. The couple got married on 23 June 2003. They have an adopted daughter named Genesis Tennon, whom they adopted as a newborn in October 2011.
Similarly, Davis has a stepson and a stepdaughter from Tennon’s previous relationships. The couple has been married for 14 years now and their relationship is going very well. There are no other records of her past and present relationships.
How much net worth does Viola Davis?
The talented Afro-American actress Viola Davis has an estimated net worth of $12 million as of 2019. She has been a prominent figure in the American Film Industry and has acquired huge wealth for herself. The iconic actress earned her net worth from her outstanding and excellent achievements in her movie career.
How tall is Viola Davis?
Observing her body physics, Viola stands a height of 5 Feet 5 Inches tall. She weighs 59 kg. Her body size is 37-27-36 inches. Her bra size is 42C (US). She has dark brown eyes and dark brown hair. Her shoe size is 9 (US) and dress size is 8 (US).
Did You Know?
- During her teenage time, she got involved in many programs such as TRIO Upward Bound and TRIO Student Support Services.
- Is one of only nine actors to have won both the Tony and the Oscar for the same role on stage and film.